BT to trial ultrafast technology in UK

BT has announced that it will test ultrafast broadband technology in the UK this year. 

 

BT has announced that it will test ultrafast broadband technology in the UK this year. 

The provider claimed that both fibre-the-the-premises and G.fast technology were due to be trialed in various parts of the country. 

Bradford is set to be the first location to be tested for FTTP broadband, with specific areas of the city having access to speeds of up to 1Gbps. 

Areas of Cambridgshire and Kent are also set to experience BT’s G.fast technology, with 25,000 homes and businesses set to experience speeds of up to 300Mbps. 

New housing developments being built are also set to enjoy FTTP, with BT claiming it was hook up 250 new houses for free.

Clive Selley, Chief Executive of BT Openreach, said that this new technology was important to Britain’s digital future. 

"I’m determined to roll out ultrafast broadband, and G.fast technology is the best way to deliver that to the majority of the UK as quickly as possible.”

"We also plan to roll out significantly more fibre-to-the-premises, and we’re trialling a range of options in Bradford to use that technology increasingly in future - wherever it makes sense."

Mr. Selley also noted that the UK was a leader in the superfast broadband market, with 9 out of 10 premises currently having access to fibre connections.

BT aims to bring this figure to 95% by the end of 2017, whilst also creating solutions to tackle the remaining 5% who do not have access - mainly rural areas. 

Source: USwitch

Broadband Speed Test

Find out whether you could be getting faster home broadband speeds. Our speed test will check your current broadband and let you compare with other speeds in your area.

Test your broadband

Contract Renewal Reminder

Our handy broadband contract renewal reminder service will let you know when your contract is coming to an end, so you can look for the best new deals.

Set your reminder

Broadband Usage Calculator

Answer a few quick questions and our broadband usage calculator will give you a data estimate for your household. Using this we’ll recommend the best kind of deal for you.

Calculate
× Need help choosing the best deal?
Call us on 020 4525 0220